Monday, April 20, 2009

Episod 2: Moroccan influence

When Mom got pregnant, she left her job. I was getting bigger and bigger that she could not bent or taking care of the patients at the hospital. So she stayed at home and started to get bored and homesick. She was missing Morocco. My dad hated seeing her like that. At that time, his business was working very well so he decided to give a wonderful gift to Mum. As she could not go to Morocco, he decided to bring Morocco to her. One evening he came back at home, found Mom leading on the sofa eating snach and junk food. He surprised her.

-Paul, you are home early today!
-Yes! Kenza take your coat, I need to show you something!
-What, where!
-No more question please, would you once shut up and listen to what I say!
-Alright, I get my coat!

Then they went out.
They arrived in front of small little shop.

-Paul, where are we?
-Chut Kenza, you ask too many questions. Close your eyes?
-Ok!

He took her hand, opens the door of the little shop and entered in the shop.
He turned on the light and say:

-Darling, you can open your eyes !

Mom opened her eyes. She looked around and looked at my father.
-What is this?
-Well Darling, welcome to your new shop!
-My new shop, what do you mean?
-As these last weeks you miss Morocco and you get bored at home, I decided to bring Morocco to you, this is your new Moroccan shop.
-Oh Paul, how are you joking, can we afford this?
-Yes I got a big contract 2 weeks ago. So I decided to give you this present. You see you can sell Moroccan souvenirs here: tajines, ashers, fabrics, babouches, kaftan, perfumes, oils...you will order all the items from Morocco and once there are in America, you sell them here. It will be your little Morocco. So what do you think honey!
-Well I don't....
-I know for the moment it does not look like a Moroccan shop but Cliff agreed to deals with the interior design and decoration. He will make you something amazing. Morever you are not far from home and once we get the baby, it can stay with you all the time here.
-Oh Paul!
-No Kenza, no time to cry! You need to think of what you are going to sell here!

She goes to him, takes his face into her hand and kisses him softly.

-Paul, the best gift you could give me is Morocco, thank you!
-I would do everything for you darling! In two weeks time you'll get your shop.

Dad was right. As he promised, in two weeks time, the Moroccon shop was ready. It was a magical place. Dad thought of everything. He bought all the traditional items that we can find in Marrakesh: lamps, baskets, dresses, shoes, soaps and even music. He even hired someone, a young Moroccan seller to help Mom. They called the shop simply "Little Morocco".

The shop began with a huge success. People were looking for colourful staff to enlight their home of their every day life. Mom was getting bigger and bigger with me inside her belly, sometimes she could not stay up a long time so she just sat on an armchair and Hassan, the Moroccan seller was doing everything for Mum. He was very helpful. Mom really liked him. They could talk to each other in arabic, a big pleasure for mom.

Few weeks after the opening, I came to world. When I was a baby, my mum kept me with her in the shop. Dad oversaw a little room with a bed in the shop where I could sleep. Mum never let me at home with some stranger baby sitter. She always wanted me to be with her.

Years after years, "Little Morocco became my second home. I knew everything about Morocco because after school I was reading books and books of Morocco. When a new item arrived to the shop, I wanted to know where it came from and how it was made. I knew about the benefits of the argan oil, henna, basket, shoes and mainly fashion. I was fond of the Moroccan fashion mainly with the Kaftan, the traditional moroccan dress. I discovered in my reading that Yves Saint Laurent found his fashion inspiration in Morocco where he bought a house in Marrakech. He used a lot the colors and the style of the traditional dress to create his collections.

That is in Little Morocco that I decided what I would do later: I would like to become a fashion designer and do like Yves saint Laurent, I would like to inspire myself from Morocco and create my collections. After my A level, I registered in a Fashion course in the University.

No comments: